Monday, February 2, 2009

I Made Bread!




and it tastes good!

Okay, for the more culinarily advanced individual, this may not be a big accomplishment. For me, however--not super-skilled at cooking and certainly not cooking from scratch--this is a big deal.

Note to self: next time start making the bread in the afternoon, not at night after a late dinner. I was up more than half the night with all the punching it down and letting it rise again before baking it, but it was worth the effort in the end. It smelled wonderful and tasted even better. Better yet, I knew exactly what ingredients were in it.

I was concerned that I might not have been kneading it properly but it turned out to look fairly normal so I must have done it correctly--or at least close enough to pass muster.

Now that I've made bread from scratch, I feel like a new door has been opened to me. Whoohoo! What to make next? :)

9 comments:

countrypeapie said...

Yay you! It's beautiful! Doesn't it smell wonderful? Did you eat it while it was still hot, with lots of butter? Mmmmmmm.

I admit that I cheat and use a bread machine, although I have done it by hand in the past. But if you love homemade bread enough to make it often, I tell ya, the bread machine is the bomb.

mountainmelody said...

impressive!

Rurality said...

The bad thing with homemade bread, for me, is that I can't stop eating it!

The Country Experience said...

Countrypeapie, I did eat it while it was still hot, although without the butter. It tasted delicious, if I do say so myself.

Mountainmelody, thanks! It was a big deal (and ordeal, lol) for me. I'm not a born cook, by any means.

Rurality, that was my problem for about the first 24 hours. By then I was had worked my way through almost the entire first loaf and realized, "Uh oh!"

Journey2thepast said...

I'm impressed by anyone who can do this....good job.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

That's some purty bread. I don't make bread, myself, both because I hate dealing with yeast and because the MiL does it regularly. I knew we kept her around for something . . .

Chic Junk said...

That's awesome! If I had tried that, the bread would most definetly have had a burnt bottom.

LauraP said...

Beautiful loaves -- and now you're hooked, right? Love, love, love fresh bread.

The Queen of Fifty Cents said...

Your bread is fabulous! For another type, check out No Knead Bread, there are lots of recipes on the Internet. It uses a very small amount of yeast and long rising times (start it the day before you bake) and makes a rustic, open textured bread that is absolutely delicious. We're hooked on it!