Friday, April 10, 2009

Found Another Praying Mantis Egg Case



Whenever I'm walking around now I am usually scanning for more praying mantis egg cases. It is becoming more difficult to find them because the trees have leafed out but I found this one last weekend. In reading about praying mantis on the internet, I have learned some interesting facts. A single egg case can hold anywhere from 50 to 200 nymphs(young). They cannot distinguish between beneficial and harmful insects; they see all of them as prey. They also will eat other praying mantis. They have two compound eyes, and then three smaller single eyes between their antenna. They are certainly interesting creatures.

2 comments:

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Aren't they amazing?

Gail said...

That is a lucky find! I used to see preying mantis frequently...I wonder where they are hiding these days. Gail